Warm up with this rich, creamy chowder that combines the comforting flavors of corn, potatoes and both Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon and Hickory Smoked Ham.
Dry-Aged Bacon/Hickory Smoked Ham
Potato Ham Chowder with Crispy Bacon
Servings: 435 minutes
- 4 slices Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon, cut into 1cm pieces
- 57g unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 260g frozen corn kernels
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 830ml milk
- 3 Japanese Danshaku potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 200g Jones Dairy Farm Hickory Smoked Ham, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1In large skillet, fry bacon until crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- 2Melt butter in large stockpot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until onions become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- 3Add corn and thyme; cook until fragrant for 1-2 minutes.
- 4Whisk in flour, cook until lightly browned.
- 5Gradually add milk, whisking constantly until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
- 6Add potatoes and bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- 7Add Jones Dairy Farm Hickory Smoked Ham, salt and pepper. If chowder is too thick, add more milk as needed.
- 8Divide soup into each bowl and top with crispy bacon.