Recipes Caramelized Onion Soup au Gratin
This classic French onion soup recipe gets a boost with our Canadian Bacon.
Perfect for dinner or as a crowd-pleasing first course.
Caramelized Onion Soup au Gratin
Servings: 4-61 hour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 onions, sliced 5mm thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 5 slices Jones Dairy Farm Canadian Bacon, diced
- 4 thin slices rustic bread
- 1 garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- 2 cups gruyère cheese or emmental cheese, shredded
- 1Melt butter in a large heavy-bottomed pot such as a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring to coat with butter. Lower heat to medium-low, cover pan and cook 15 minutes, or until onions have softened.
- 2Uncover pan; continue to cook slowly until onions are deep golden brown and very soft, stirring frequently and scraping the bottom of the pan for about 30 minutes.
- 3Sprinkle flour over onions, stir to coat and cook a few minutes until flour has absorbed.
- 4Pour in stock, bring to a simmer and cook 10 minutes to thicken the soup slightly. Stir in Jones Dairy Farm Canadian Bacon; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5Brush both sides with olive oil. Toast the bread for a few minutes on each side until golden. Rub each slice with garlic while still warm.
- 6Portion soup into heat-proof bowls; top each bowl with cheese. Place in an oven-toaster, fish grill, or use the grill setting on the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- 7Garnish with toast and serve immediately.
This recipe is made using
Jones Dairy Farm Canadian Bacon
Back to the list